The mission of the Altar Guild is to develop an awareness of what the altar represents and develop a universal knowledge of the altar linens, holy vessels and colors of the liturgical vestments.
Who we are: We are small group of volunteers of St. Thomas the Apostle Parish who work “behind the scenes” to maintain the sanctuary and the Holy Table, caring for the beauty of the Church altar.
What we do: We take care of the altar linens and the other liturgical items such as the Eucharistic vessels, elements, vestments, candles, and small furnishings for the altar. We also help with:
- washing and ironing purificators and corporals,
- ironing Alb’s, chasubles, veils, palls, altar cloths, server robes.
- servicing the linens used on the altar and during the consecration of the Mass,
- preparing the vestments and altar dressings for different feasts and seasons according to the colors determined by the liturgical calendar,
- an occasional “house keeping” get-together to dust and polish the sanctuary furniture, etc.
Time Commitment: Varies with duties. Training is provided.
Contact: Mildred Soriano at (773) 373-3970, firstname.lastname@example.org.
“One of the most beautiful parts of this ministry is the closeness and humility which is developed as a person literally, like Martha and Mary, waits on the needs of the Lord.”