“We proclaim that human life is a precious gift from God; that each person who receives this gift has responsibilities toward God, self, and others; and that society, through its laws and social institutions, must protect and nurture human life at every stage of its existence.” (USCCB, Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life, 2011)
Who we are: Our mission is to promote respect for the dignity of each human person through educating St. Thomas the Apostle parishioners on the full spectrum of life issues and providing opportunities to advance a greater respect for life both locally and nationally. The emphasis of our committee is on the development of a “consistent ethic of life” from conception to natural death, so many issues such as capital punishment, abortion, euthanasia and embryonic stem cell research are addressed.
What we do: We seek to educate and mobilize parishioners on a range of pro-life issues. Our work includes:
- collecting and providing information at literature tables or visual displays,
- writing letters to local, state, and national representatives regarding legislation affecting the lives of the innocent; as well as writing parish bulletin’ letters and information notes,
- organizing prayer services to pray for those affected by these issues,
- organizing special talks and homilies, inviting of speakers,
- participation in a variety of pro-life activities in the city and staying in touch with other Respect Life organizations,
- and so much more of what is going on in the city, country and the church is brought up to our meetings.
Requirements: New members are always welcome.
Contact: (Temporarily vacant). For more information contact Parish Office at (773) 324-2626.
“In our present social context, marked by a dramatic struggle between the “culture of life” and the “culture of death”,
there is need to develop a deep critical sense, capable of discerning true values and authentic needs.
What is urgently called for is a general mobilization of consciences and a united ethical effort to activate
a great campaign in support of life. All together, we must build a new culture of life.”
Bl. John Paul II, The Gospel of Life, no. 95
Download and print out the brochure (PDF): Outreach – Consistent Ethic of Life brochure