When we grieve, our Father in Heaven wants us to find consolation in His loving arms. The Bereavement Ministry offers an opportunity to experience healing following the loss of a loved one. This Ministry is a source of blessing, peace and love as we reach out to our brothers & sisters who are in need for a comforting and supporting hand.
Who we are: We are a ministry of consolation and compassion – Christ’s arms and voice to embrace the bereaved of the St. Thomas the Apostle faith family.
Since the Eucharistic Liturgy is the central point in the Catholic funeral, one of our main focuses is to make the funeral planning process a healing one. It is our intention that through our efforts scriptural readings and music selected by families will provide a most meaningful funeral service.
What we do: We offer the sympathy, support and prayers of the STA parish community, reaching out to the families of our parish who have experienced the death of a loved one, and to help them by:
- assisting in the preparation of a meaningful and personal funeral liturgy,
- gathering information about the deceased person to assist the minister who will conduct the funeral.
- attending wake and funeral services and/or internment services, and ministering at them as lectors, altar servers, greeters (if needed).
- reaching out personally to the family during the following year and offering them caring support and prayerful remembrance;
- helping in planning the Mass of Remembrance on All Souls Day, as well as other Prayer Services for the Departed.
Time Commitment: On average, a minister may expect to provide support to 3-5 families a year.
Contact: Currently vacant. If interested, contact Parish Office at (773) 324-2626 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Everyone needs someone – knowing that somewhere someone is thinking of you…”
Bl. Solanus Casey
Download and print out the brochure (PDF): Community Life (NEW) – Bereavement Ministry brochure